Monday, June 27, 2011

How I Write

It occurred to me that people might be interested in learning how I write.

I started out with (and still use) a list of topics that I basically brainstormed in a single session. Topics that emphasized the 'why' as much as the 'how', including things that I, and therefore probably others, have struggled with. From the outset, I wanted this book to be as much about the trial and errors as the successes, to be stories that people could relate to rather than be awed by.

A few weeks into the project I sorted the list into something resembling a table of contents (TOC), to help ensure I covered topics I may have missed in that original brainstorm session. As additional topic ideas occur to me, I add them to the list and try to figure out where they might fit into the TOC.

I look at both of these fairly often and see what jumps out at me, what triggers ideas or stories, and ponder them throughout the day, sometimes for several days. Because my goal is to have a sample chapter written by September for submission to the publisher I'm hoping will be interested in this book, I've been largely focusing on the shelter chapter, which covers not only building but living comfortably – thus the sections on staying both warm and cool. Plus it's the area most of my energies are focused on right now anyway, as I disassemble the 8x12 to make room for something a little larger.

After letting the ideas percolate, I sit down each evening and write. Longhand. I actually got the idea from an Amish woman whose column I read in the local paper some years back. She wrote her column longhand and mailed it to the paper where they typed it up. I do a little editing while writing, but most of it is just a word change here and there, the gist of the section having already drafted itself in my head. So with pen in hand, by the light of an oil lamp, with the sounds of birds chirping, frogs trilling, and depending on recent rains possibly the river at the edge of the property flowing, the words seem to tumble out onto the paper. Except for that week of writers block, where I was attempting to force out words that weren't ready yet! I'm still both frustrated and amused that what seemed a most basic concept resisted communication at that particular time! Okay, lesson learned – the right words will flow when they're ready.

Rather than have someone else do my typing, however, (which I did consider) I have discovered that I can sometimes better clarify an idea as I translate ink to electrons. I also sometimes write notes to myself in the margins to verify something that emerged from the recesses of my brain when I have internet access – usually a book title or author.

Most mornings, after feeding the pigs and other homestead chores, I sit at my desk in the main house and utilize the net access there to type and post the previous evening's writing. The past several days, however, the internet has not been cooperating, and some days I just plain run out of time to get a post submitted! So while there may be some days where nothing new appears, fear not. The ideas are still percolating, and the pen (third one actually!) is still flowing. I'm just wondering what will happen if and when the book is technically finished!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When the book is finished you will find a new project and dive right in. Anyone who has been reading this blog can see that. :)