Monday, February 25, 2013

2/25: Rifle CO to Atlanta GA

Here we have a perfect example of weather prediction problems.

I though I could beat the snows headed for the Rockies. I was wrong - 3 separate areas required chains before I could roll early Saturday. I can deadlift the chains (barely), but not wrestle them at arms length around the tires. So chaining is simply not an option for me. Which I'm fine with since I'm dubious about driving in weather crappy enough to require chains in the first place!

So Saturday I got stopped in Fruita CO. And couldn't find a reliable weather forecast. Dispatch would only tell me it was snowing on the I-70 cameras. No weather channel at the truck stop. I have yet to find a weather app useful for road travel. Cashier at truck stop said forecast was snowstorms thru Wednesday. This load is due in SD Tuesday. So I choose a strategic retreat and messaged to have load re-powered (driven by someone else).

Chain restrictions were lifted last evening, and it's a beautiful sunny day out today. (Shaking head)

So my next load will be to Atlanta instead. Following right behind a storm scheduled to dump 6-8" snow on Kansas tonight. Yippee.

I love my job, I love driving/living in a truck, but I swear I'm going to spend next winter sailing in the Caribbean instead!!

No comments: